Leave it to N of A Fine Balance and I to choose the most bone-chillingly cold day of the year (-30C = -22F) for our first outdoor winter shots. The sun sets so early nowadays, it’s all but impossible to get natural light during the workweek. Luckily the sun was out that Saturday, its rays dancing on the snow blanketing the evergreens behind us. It literally and figuratively took my breath away :) I went for a slightly sporty look while N looked as elegant as ever.
The problem is that winter and fashion don’t always go hand-in-hand. Practicality always has a way of creeping into wardrobe decisions.
Here are a few ways I try to up the style quotient in the cold:
- Spend the money for at least one good coat, socks, and footwear. I have four coats to get me through the season: this all-purpose weather-resistant puffer, a long wool coat that fits over a business suit, an elegant evening coat and a peacoat for errand-running in and out of heated shops. If you shop around and look for quality fabric and good workmanship, you don’t have to spend a lot. Two of mine were thrifted and one was clothes-swapped and re-buttoned.
- These booties were trendy cheapies but my ski socks were enough to keep my feet toasty. For walking to work and back, I splurged on a pair of lace-up Blondo Snowtrails (similar ones here).
- I stick to classic colours and styles for coats, which I keep for years, but have fun with the accessories.
- When it comes to hats, I look for wool fabric lined with fleece, which won’t itch. I make sure one hat is loose enough to wear over blowdried hair and keep its shape. For small heads like mine, try shopping the kids’ section. Earwarmers are good for warmer days.
- Bulk on top is unavoidable, so I balanced things out with textured knit tights on the bottom – layered over sheer tights for extra warmth.
What are YOUR tips for staying stylish in cold climes?
Coat - Coupé via Winners
Hat - Barts
Scarf - RW & Co. (GWP)
Gloves - AuClair via Winners
Booties - Sirens
Dress - H&M
Turtleneck - Jacob
Socks - ?
Tights - Winners
Necklace - ? (Australia)
Purse - Danier Leather