Friday, February 03, 2012

Broccoli salad (Turner salad)

If you're a broccoli-hater, don't change the channel just yet. If there's one dish that may change your mind about this vegetable, I'm willing to bet this family recipe (also referred to as Turner salad for reasons unknown), is it. Trust me, I've seen it happen. Plus it's loaded with other fun ingredients like raisins and BACON. Still with me? Good.

Dressing
To make the dressing, combine 1/2 sugar, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 lightly whisked egg, 2 tsp cornstarch and 1/2 tsp Keene's dry mustard in a small saucepan. Whisking regularly, bring mixture to a boil and continue boiling for 2-3 minutes. (I know, you're probably thinking 'What the hell? I have to BOIL the dressing? Just wait and see...wait and see.) Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup mayonnaise.

Salad
To assemble salad, combine one large head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces, with 1/4 thinly sliced red onion, 1/4 cup cooked and chopped bacon, 3-4 sliced mushrooms and a handful of raisins. 

Assembly
Add dressing to salad while it is still warm for easier mixing, and toss well. Ideally, add the dressing a few hours before serving. 
This salad also holds up well as leftovers. 



 
 {Ingredients for dressing starting to come to a boil.}
   
 
{The mixture will start to thicken.}
{Once the dressing is done boiling, it should have this texture.}

8 comments:

  1. it looks slightly like hollandaise :) and yummmyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am almost certain that this is the salad I had growing up that made me like broccoli! I will have to try it out (minus the bacon- I'll add faux bacon!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made my own dressing before. Is it really this easy? Must try this.

    www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy and delicious been having this since I was a kid made it many times

      Delete
  4. Kat thank you for trying. If you don't want to link thru facebook then I understand, although it is a great site for fashion and style. thanks for your lovely comment. Have a great weekend, darling. dawn suitcase Vignettes xo I really love broccoli by the way and this looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just what I need right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love broccoli, so this looks really yummy, I'll have to give it a try.
    I wanted to stop by and say thank you for your lovely comments, you are too sweet and kind! I've been having fun watching your winter style as well, its so easy to get stuck in the winter wearing the same thing over and over again, just because of the temp. outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm that looks delicious, I'm going to have to give that a try! I'm now following :)

    xo Gillie

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!