Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Traditional Greek salad

This light salad calls out for fresh late-summer produce (Southern hemisphere dwellers, take note). Traditionally, Greek salad is made without lettuce. Given my love-hate relationship with leafy greens, that suits me just fine.

Chop 3 ripe tomatoes and 1 whole English cucumber. Add 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced (I didn't have any, and substituted sweet onion). Add crumbled feta cheese to taste and a handful of olives. 

To make dressing, vigorously whisk 3 T red wine vinegar, 3 T lemon juice, 1 tsp chopped garlic and 1 tsp dried oregano. While continuing to whisk, slowly pour in 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil. Season to taste.

Variations:
Substitute 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes for regular tomatoes. 
Add chopped red pepper. 
Substitute green olives for black ones.



7 comments:

  1. Mmm yum- I always order greek salad at restaurants but never make it myself- it's so simple and fresh I must get on that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love greek salad! now all I need is a patio, a glass of white wine and some sun : )

    I really need to take all of your recipes and store them somewhere! they are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore a good Greek salad
    My brother was married to a Greek girl and I loved to eat at her mom's house!
    Sadly he is now married to a plain ole southern girl like me. lol
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i'm loving it! says the girl whose grandpa came from cyprus, greece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Greek salads. It has been too long since I have had one.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  6. asecondglanceblog9 January 2013 at 14:04

    If your grandpa (do they call them opas there?) has tips on making it more authentic...I'm all ears!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!