Saturday, October 27, 2012

40s-inspired wedding guest wear

Your average blog photoshoot is subject to all kinds of challenges: a forgotten accessory, bad weather, creepy onlookers, falling darkness or a general lack of opportunity. But once in a blue moon, things come together, as they did here. (OK, I did forget my clutch but I took a photo later). B and I were attending a wedding at a heritage farm in the outskirts of the city. My usual photographers/friends were either staying warm under thoughtfully-provided blankets during the cocktail hour, or tending to their newborn baby, so I didn't want to ask them. Luckily, I was able to snag B for 5 minutes in between groomsman duties - otherwise this outfit would have been filed under 'lack of opportunity'The ceremony was outdoors so I wore a coat which you can see in one of the photos below. The reception was in a heated tent but since I tend to be cold ALL THE TIME I played it safe with a faux-fur shrug and elbow-length gloves. This outfit is a mish mash of previous wedding guest attire - I wore the shrug with a long black column dress for a more formal wedding in the spring (here) and the dress with pearls and gold accessories last year (here). 

And the bride? Already very pretty, she looked stunning. Her cutest accessory, apart from her new hubby, was without a doubt the bright teal shoes peeking out from underneath her dress. S, if you're reading this, félicitations ma belle!

xx

 





 



Dress - Thrifted (Laundry by Shelli Segal) (also here)
Belt - Thrifted (also here and here)
Shrug - Laura (also here)
Gloves - Jacob
Shoes - Guess via Winners
Clutch - from my grandmother's closet

11 comments:

  1. oh lovely autumn, fence, & retro outfit! kat, the mish mash of wedding attire is pretty on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your jacket and dress! Following you on GFC and Bloglovin!

    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative with your outfits. This period piece looks amazing.

    Girlie Blog Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay you look like a 50's gal. I am in love with this look on you. Great mish mash, I love mish mash. You look beautiful. Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat not Kay, darn phone! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for faux fur, what a classic & timeless look Kat! You can never go wrong with red, white, red & polka dots. The wedding sounds lovely, teal shoes & blankets, they thought of everything! PS I tried your maple brussel sprouts tonight (without Grand Marnier, didn't have any) and they were yummy, almost reminded me of dessert because of how sweet they were!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love EVERYTHING about this look Kat. you know me, the more feminine and retro it is, the more i love ;) and whats not to love about polka dots, gloves, a faux fur shrug? Timeless indeed

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot the dying camera battery in that list. (Or maybe that's just me and my general forgetfulness with not remembering to charge my camera battery.)


    I love this, I think the 30s and the 40s get overlooked too often in favor of the 50s, 60s and 20s, but those two decades had some amazing styles. I love your furry jacket, nothing says 40s glamour like a short-sleeved fur vest. Gorgeous! And I love that the bride wore teal shoes, that is just too fun! (my mom wore cowboy boots under her dress, so I've always had a soft spot for non-traditional bridal footwear.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. asecondglanceblog9 November 2012 at 18:11

    haha, yes dying camera battery! I guess I'm lucky that if N and I are doing each others' photos we can share one camera - but that's not always the case! I'm glad you recognize this as a 40s silhouette; I heard decades that were all over the map! The tailoring from the 30s and 40s is impeccable. I love that your mom wore cowboy boots; that's actually what the brides and her bridesmaids changed into after the ceremony ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. asecondglanceblog9 November 2012 at 18:13

    Oh thanks for the feedback Em! I'm so glad you liked them. Vegetables go down so much easier when they're sweet, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. asecondglanceblog9 November 2012 at 18:15

    P.S. In the future you could try substituting a bit of orange juice for the Grand Marnier; basically the acidity counters some of the sweetness from the maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!