Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Borrowing from menswear

Coming up with fresh and fun - but also work-safe - outfits can be challenging. It's so much easier to get stuck in a rut when it comes to office wear than things worn off the clock. So, I took a cue from tuxedo-style menswear and tied a long, thin gauzy black scarf  around a collared neckline, and wore my patent brogues. The row of sequins, the silk texture of the skirt, and the skirt kept the look from being TOO masculine. This outfit has quickly become a bit of a go-to for me. I've also worn it with a pencil skirt, and sometime I'd like to try a patterned bowtie with a pleated skirt, or cigarette pants. Do YOU ever borrow ideas from menswear?

xx

 






Skirt -Thrifted (H&M) (also here)
Shirt - Thrifted (Jalouzie)
Scarf - Thrifted (worn as belt here)
Shoes - Libby Edelman
Bracelets - Toronto boutique and Aakriti Designs
Earrings - Walmart

5 comments:

  1. kat, it's intriguing how you tied that scarf! i like how subtle the sequins are, and i would absolutely wear those bracelets. :) now i want to see it worn in all the ways you suggest. i don't take from menswear very often. actually, the only time i can think of is when i cut my husband's shirt, & wore it. the link to that post is below.

    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/2011/12/leaves-i-wore.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both rocked the menswear recently- mine was casual and yours daytime chic. I echo Teddi's comment- your scarf tying is so much fun and those brogues really suit your supermodel gams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie of Ak Weredork10 October 2012 at 02:53

    You always pull off the menswear looks so well!
    I love the tiny detail of the tie having sequins on it, it's fun and adds a great little bit of visual interest Office appropriate outfits can be a bit difficult, it's hard trying to balance the style part of it and still be appropriated but not feel like you're wearing the same thing everyday. (I was terrible when I had to work in office setting, I just work the same boring black skirt over and over and over again.) You always do a excellent job of staying true to your personal style but still have office outfits that are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat! Hi. Finally getting to your blog. I am sorry for the delay. I was not able to leave you n a few others messages. Anyway I just wanted to say hello and thanks for dropping by and leaving me such beautiful comments. Love your skirt color and your menswear inspired outfit. I love men's clothing with a feminine twist. You are built for this style. Love the cross your leg pose...I do that one too. One of my go to poses. I love seeing and taking notice of signature poses in people's posts. I guess we all do. I should do a post on poses...that would be funny. Have a great week. Nice to see you finally. Dawn suitcase vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is ones of my FAVOURITE outfits of yours. I I love the way you've tied the scarf and the sequins on it really jazz up the outfit. That and those shoes...I've been eyeing them for a while. looking stylish as always.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!