Monday, October 15, 2012

Marinated tofu with vegetables and peanut-coconut-lime drizzle

This recipe comes from a fantastic restaurant cookbook, Rebar, given to me by friends. Other than a few minor changes (like switching up the veggies, and serving it over rice noodles instead of steamed jasmine rice), I generally followed the recipe. I love the idea of infusing coconut milk with lime leaves and ginger - it imparts an intoxicating aroma. Be sure to account for the time needed to marinate the tofu and for the infusion.

To prepare tofu:
 Combine in a small saucepan 1/4 cup light soya, 2T dark soya, 2/3 cup water, 2T lime juice, 1T minced ginger, 1tsp minced garlic, 1tsp sambal oelek, 2T sugar, and pepper to taste. Heat mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 min. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup chopped basil. Slice 2 blocks of firm tofu in half so you end up with four thinner slabs. Place tofu slabs in a large Ziploc bag, pour marinade over and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Remove tofu. Marinade can be reused in a stirfry.

To make peanut sauce:
Heat 1/2 can coconut milk, 6 kaffir lime leaves and 2T minced ginger in a small saucepan over low heat. Cover, turn off heat and let the liquid infuse for an hour. Then re-heat and whisk in 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter, 1T soy sauce, 1/4 tsp Thai red curry paste, 1T sugar, 2T lime juice, 1/2 sambal oelek and 2T hot water.

To cook vegetables and tofu:
Heat 1T peanut oil in a skillet and fry tofu until golden on both sides. 
 Thinly slice 1 yellow onion, 2 medium carrots, 6 oz snow peas, 1 large red pepper and 1 medium zucchini. (I replaced the carrots and snow peas with kale.) Heat 1T peanut oil in a wok and stir-fry vegetables until tender-crisp, adding some of the reserved tofu marinade.

To serve:
I served the tofu and vegetables over rice noodles instead of jasmine rice. Drizzle with peanut sauce and garnish with crushed peanuts, basil and lime.



3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious!

    http://audreyallure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. why do i have to be allergic to everything? grrr! this looks & sounds so healthy & tasty. kat, i met my husband in 1992. i married him in 1993. yes, we are an old married couple. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gawrsh. I was craving peanut noodles just earlier today, and because my husband wasn't feeling Thai anything, I had to eat a burger. I thought I had at least satiated my hunger, but nope. You just had to post this drool-worthy recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!