Monday, October 29, 2012

Sloppy Joe's

People who know me would not be surprised that I would find a way to make my Sloppy Joes look tidy. But here they are: my Tidy Joes. B and I were both pleased with how flavourful such a simple and quick recipe turned out to be that we changed very little about it. Like substituting green peppers for red. I can't condone using green peppers for anything except pizza. Anyways, this mixture is slightly sweet, so serving it on rye toast gives it nice balance. We melted some marble cheese on top before serving.

To make, brown 1 lb lean ground beef, 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1/4 cup chopped red pepper in a skillet over medium heat, then drain off liquids. Ensure beef is fully cooked. Add 3/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup HP sauce, 3 T brown sugar, 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder and pepper to taste. Mix well. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes (the recipe says 30 but you don't need to wait this long). Serve on rye toast with melted cheese on top.
    You can find the original recipe here.
     

    5 comments:

    1. OMG this looks amazing - now that the weather is getting colder this is the perfect comfort meal!

      XO
      www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. That looks tasty and very neat and clean hehe

      ReplyDelete
    3. Anything is better on rye. ;)
      I really like this recipe, especially the non-sloppy part, it looks yummy and I think the kids would love it. I'm going to have to give this a try!

      ReplyDelete
    4. asecondglanceblog9 November 2012 at 18:06

      Let me know how it goes!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I had to come tell you that I did make these and they were fantastic! The kids thought they were special hamburgers but they tasted so delicious, were easy to make and so non-sloppy-joes. You always have fantastic recipes. :)

      ReplyDelete

    I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!