Friday, December 14, 2012

Savoury crepes stuffed with chicken, artichoke and sundried tomatoes...and a culinary confession

This recipe was born of fatigue with my usual carb side dishes: rice, potatoes, pasta and bread. B doesn't like quinoa or couscous so I don't make those as often. Anyways, savoury crepes were an easy and welcome change. I kept the toppings super-easy with nothing that required extra cooking. You can even get extra bang for your buck by making a double batch of batter. After using half for your savoury crepes, add sugar to the remaining batter and use it the following day for sweet breakfast or dessert crepes. 


To make crepes:
In a blender, combine 4 eggs, 1-1/2 cups milk and 2T margarine. Working in batches, add 1-1/2 cups flour and 1 tsp baking powder. For the sweet version, add 1T sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Heat 1/2 tsp margarine in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add enough batter to just cover the bottom of the pan when you swirl it. Cook until golden brown and edges start to curl up (about 1 minute), then flip and cook for about 30 seconds longer. Repeat, adding more margarine as needed.

To stuff crepes:
Add shredded rotisserie chicken, roughly chopped artichoke (fresh cooked, marinated or canned), and chopped sundried tomato. Add grated Parmesan cheese and reheat in microwave until cheese melts. 

 

I've been asked if I'm ever unsuccessful in the kitchen. All the time. I've only had to throw out a meal a handful of times, but about 20% of the recipes I intend to show on the blog turn out to be too mediocre for posting, or require too much work for what you get at the end. This is especially frustrating when it LOOKS really pretty on the plate. Here's an example of a ricotta gnudi (a type of pasta) I made from scratch and tossed with roasted butternut squash and brussel sprouts, pumpkin seeds, caramelized onion, crisped Prosciutto, dried cranberries and a brown butter sauce. The pasta ended up with a kind of gooey texture. Then again I've never had gnudi so maybe that's the idea, but I doubt it! The 'dry roasted' pumpkin seeds from the grocery store were overpoweringly salty and quickly picked out. We ate it anyways; it wasn't terrible...but not worthy of the blog.




1 comment:

  1. I was on the NYT site and saw Crepes with roaster Apricots. I read it wrong and thought it was artichokes. when I re read it I was disappointed. So I searched out crepes and roast artichokes.And I found this.
    I am definitely trying it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!