Monday, January 28, 2013

Island of misfit clothes #1: the cream cable-knit sweater

Watching Rudolph over Christmas, with its Island of Misfit Toys, I got to thinking about my closet and what I call my Island of Misfit Clothes. I really do try to wear everything I own. Nonetheless, I have a few pieces that aren't winning any popularity contests in my closet, but that I haven't compelled myself to get rid of. I decided to make an inventory of everything that I've never shown on the blog (loungewear/sportswear excluded) and build posts around each one. Other bloggers have done similar challenges; see for example H&K Style Journey's Stay or Go Feature.

I ended up with 16 pieces, which is fewer than I expected (I've been a busy blogger over the past 21 months!). I may have a few more when I unpack some of my summer clothes in storage. I hope you'll enjoy the new feature! 

xx

#1: THE CREAM CABLE-KNIT SWEATER


The first item up is a wool cable-knit sweater from the Gap that I mostly wear for skiing nowadays. I think it's about 8 years old.

 


Pros: The wool fabric is warm. The beautiful cable knitting is on the back as well as the front of the sweater. It comes with built-in belt loops.
Cons: The wool fabric is itchy and I don't have long-sleeved tees with the right neckline to wear underneath. When I do wear something underneath, I feel bulky around the middle.
 
Solution: Go for a look straight out of prep school by wearing a collared shirt underneath (to counter itchiness) and a heavy-duty blazer over top (to smooth out bulk).









Blazer: Thrifted (Danier Leather)
Sweater: Gap
Button-down: Thrifted (Ralph Lauren)
Pants: Consigned (BCBG)
Booties: Old Navy
Bracelet and ring - Le Chateau
Earrings - Gift 

11 comments:

  1. I think your solution was brilliant! Maybe I am just a sucker for collared shirts and sweaters, but I love this. Great job! Thanks for the shout out too :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting challenge. I think you made a good outfit with the sweater - the blazer goes really well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the outfit too.

    Also here are some ideas of what else you could do with the sweater..

    http://keepitbeautiful1.blogspot.ca/2013/01/cable-not-just-your-mamas-sweater.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I love the socks in the last photo. We have a cable-knit throw in our living room which is oh-so-cozy.

      How did I not realize you have a cooking blog too?? Your name was never clickable under my old commenting system....Anyways, I started following, stat!

      Delete
  4. peeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfection. I have too many itchy sweaters that I have chucked out because I was too stupid to think of layering them. HA!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing you, could you not make some unbelievable brooch out them or something? ;) See the link in the comment above for other transformation ideas!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea, I have many island of misfit (love that movie!) articles of clothing that I just don't find the time to wear! I really like the cream colour of the cableknit and your nail polish is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of this feature! I hate itchy sweaters. I'm so picky when I buy sweaters, if there's ANY itch, I won't think twice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kat, you look so sweet and you figured out how to make the sweater not itchy or bulking looking. i like this new feature. i look forward to see what you show us. your smile is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The reference to the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Christmas special in the title of this post made me smile :) And I love the idea of looking at items in your closet that you aren't wearing for whatever reason, and challenging yourself to find a way to wear them. You did a great job styling the cable knit sweater!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!