Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Island of misfit clothes #5: The khaki jacket


#5: THE KHAKI JACKET


I bought this jacket at Winners about seven years ago. I'm ashamed to say I was wooed by the Michael Kors label, which I hadn't seen at Winners until then, and didn't really think through how often I'd actually wear it.

Pros: It's got nice details like a slight flare on the back hem. It's a true wardrobe classic. When I wear it I feel like I'm on an adventure with Indiana Jones.

Cons: Depending what it's worn with, it can look like a safari costume. It's not the best colour for my skin tone. When I need outerwear, I tend to reach for my leather jacket.

Solution: Go classic with jeans, a casual white tee and a scarf. Apply self-tanner the night before to avoid looking washed out ;)

xx







8 comments:

  1. This is a great jacket. I like the casual feel of it paired with the jeans and scarf. Have you tried pairing it with red? Khaki and red always look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought: Good call! My second thought (standing in front of my closet): Dammit Kat, how do you only own ONE red item? For real. (No wonder dressing on Canada Day is such a challenge). It will have to be my one top to the rescue, because I like the idea!

      Delete
  2. kat, you made it look so classic with that outfit. i can see why you bought the jacket. it's like a blazer version of a trench coat. i think you have great skin tone. i can't tan period. it's burn and peel for this freckled lady. even tanning beds don't work. i have used self tanners, but it's a lot of hassle, and i'm lazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet you are from Texas? There goes my stereotype... jk!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Khaki jackets are tough! Honestly, I even find the classic trench a bit of a challenge, mainly colour-wise... beige is just not flattering. I think you did a grat job of keeping a potentially not great colour away from your face by layering a sweater underneath. Honestly, I would never have thought to go casual with this piece but I love the result :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this jacket! And that scarf is pretty awesome too!

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man, it is hard to resit the lure of a designer label that's reasonable priced. I do love all thing rustic, safari related though so I have to say I love this jacket. It does fit your perfectly and it's does elevate a jeans and tee shirt look!

    I want to thank you for your suggestion a while back on looking through my misfit clothes, it's really helped me to weed out the garments that I don't wear and that doesn't fit well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the nudge you needed to pare down your wardrobe! Feels good, doesn't it?

      Delete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!