Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Rhubarb coffee cake

I stopped in at our neighbourhood farmers' market a couple of weekends ago and picked up some late-season rhubarb. I love the idea of a fruit that's too tart to eat on its own, so you're pretty much forced to turn into something that will satisfy a sweet tooth. 

This cake recipe is a family one. I'd only made it once before, but it got the stamp of approval from my Aussie roommates at the time, so I felt confident bringing this one in to share with my coworkers. The usual baker on our team is on maternity leave and I was missing the occasional homemade treats! (We're spoiled)

I mentioned to my parents that I'd made this cake and was planning to post it on the blog. They both said 'oh, the lunar cake!'. After I stared at them blankly, they explained the sugary topping melting into the cake makes crater-like holes.

xx

In a stand mixer, cream together 1/2 cup slightly softened butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add two eggs. Add 1 cup plain Greek yogurt and 1 tsp vanilla. Working in batches, fold in 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 tsp baking soda. Stir in 2 cups of chopped rhubarb. Pour mixture into a greased 9x13" baking dish.  

Again using the stand mixer, mix 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1T softened butter, 1T flour and 1 tsp cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of cake. 


Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!