Thursday, June 12, 2014

Bridesmaids' attire

(This is the fourth post in my wedding series.)

Any fashion blogger knows that variety is the spice of life! When it came to our wedding, nowhere was that more true than with the bridesmaids' dresses. I was keen on the idea of mismatched dresses in similar hues, for a couple of reasons: 1) Bridesmaids' dresses are notoriously difficult to wear after a wedding; at least they could pick their own style and price point. 2) Practicality. The girls live in four different cities spread across two countries. 4) I'm not a 20-year-old bride and (speaking purely for myself) this feel a little more grown up. 5) Who doesn't like a parade of pretty fashions? 6) There were enough girls (seven) that I thought it would work. 7) Pinterest.

xx

I set a couple of parameters (knee-length, no prints etc.), but otherwise gave the girls free rein. For the footwear, I asked them to collectively agree on general style of nude shoe. They chose closed, round toe pumps with a heel. My sister, who was the maid of honour, wore a sparkly open-toed sandals instead. I had originally suggested she wear a sequined blush dress, but we couldn't find any. 

I couldn't have been happier with the results. They'd each sent me photos of their dress, but we didn't get to see the full effect until everyone was dressed and standing together. It was even prettier than I imagined. They looked absolutely stunning!!

Tip: I had picked up paint chips at a hardware store for the colour inspiration, and passed them around to the girls. I hung on to a set and used it when meeting with everyone from the florist to the makeup artist. 

{First look photo with the bridesmaids}




{Olivia's dress: From 1861 in Montreal}

{Rachelle's dress: BCBG Emily in Antique Blush}

{Kayla's dress: BCBG Lydia in Antique Blush}

{Sara's dress: Watters 1524 in Buff}


{Madelaine's dress: J. Crew Heidi dress in Misty Rose}

{Josée's dress: BCBG Phoebe in Bare Pink}

For the jewellery, I gave them inexpensive pearl earrings (Ardène) and stacked bracelets (Aldo Accessories) to create some uniformity across the group. 



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that they each got to choose their own dress! I think the color you picked is so elegant and works with EVERY single one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the dresses your bridesmaids are wearing. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!