Monday, July 07, 2014

Wedding music

(This is the 13th post in my wedding series. Still to come - the best photos from the day and a roundup of the most touching/funny/all-around awesome moments.)

Church music


Our ceremony musicians, Peter and Jolani, were a father-daughter duo who play the organ and viola beautifully. When we decided to marry outside the downtown core, the church fee came in much lower than expected. That meant we were able to include live ceremony music in our budget, which until then had been a 'nice to have'. We connected with Peter and Jolani through their affiliation with the church. 

 I didn't really dream about weddings when I was little, but from an early age I was certain I wanted to walk down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon in D. It's classic and always moves me, especially when played on a string instrument. 


As the wedding party entered the church to the sounds of Pachelbel’s Canon in D, only the organist was playing. We had the viola come in when my father and I made our entrance.





Many brides tell me they don't remember walking down the aisle. I do, but unfortunately I don't remember the music, other than when it started up! :S

Schubert's Ave Marie, a tribute to Brad's mom, played during communion. 




During the signing of the registry, we had Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, a favourite of mine. 






For the recessional, Brad suggested another classic: Mendelssohn's Wedding March. 





Reception music

Brad and I wanted to choose much of the music ourselves, while leaving some time for requests and the DJ's discretion. Here are some of the songs we requested:

Wedding party entrance: Ritchie Valens - La Bamba
I got to pick this one. I wanted to choose an upbeat song that guests of all ages could recognize. My family used to put this on the record player and dance around the living room. The Spanish lyrics are a subtle tribute to our love of travel.





Bride and groom entrance: Indiana Jones theme song
Our entrance showed off Brad's playful side and his lifelong love of Indiana Jones movies. Brad schemed up a little skit that involved his reenactment of a scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark and a captured heroine, Katrine, who did not need to wait for a man to rescue her. It drew lots of laughter and clapping from guests and set a more lighthearted tone for the rest of the evening. 





Brad and Katrine first dance: Frank Sinatra - The Way You Look Tonight
Songs that remind us of our relationship weren't fitting for a first dance, so we turned to one of Brad's favourites and a true classic.





Father-daughter dance: Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman - Time to Say Goodbye
One of the few artists I can remember listening to with my dad was Andrea Bocelli, and I just love Sarah Brightman's voice. 




All-guests song: The Contours - Do You Love Me
This was another song that needed to appeal to all ages, as we wanted EVERYONE on the dance floor. We stumbled across this one towards the end of a long evening researching songs for our playlist. It immediately brought a grin to our faces; Brad and I jumped up and had an impromptu dance party.



Some of our other party time favourites:



Daft Punk - One More Time


Tune ft Akon - Calling

The Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There

Train - Marry Me


Notch - Nuttin No Go So

Vendor review: Quality Entertainment, Ottawa
Our DJ was Len from Quality Entertainment, a company which had come well-recommended from several vendors and past clients. We hit it off immediately, and he was fantastic for our wedding. He read the crowd well, switched seamlessly between songs and had a great, upbeat personality. Lots of feet were on the dance floor from the second we played the all-guests song and straight through the night. Chatting with Len at the end of the evening, he marvelled at how much fun he'd had and what a party it had turned into. He said our wedding was definitely in the top 5 of all the ones he's worked. Yay!! :) The set-up and tear-down went smoothly, all of our interactions with Quality Entertainment's booking staff went smoothly, and we were able to negotiate a slightly discounted price when adding uplighting and gel covers to our order. Visually, the company website can be overwhelming and difficult but navigate but behind it all is a company and DJ I'd highly recommend!

1 comment:

  1. that photo of your dad walking you down the aisle better be displayed in your house somewhere, it's so beautiful! you look fab and your super light blonde hair is making me want to lighten my hair. Great choice in song for walking down the aisle, even if you don't remember it being played :P

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!