Thursday, June 19, 2014

Wedding hair, makeup, nails

(This is the seventh post in my wedding series.)

Our hairstylists and makeup artists did a stunning job, helping the wedding party, my mom, my aunt and me look like beautifully glammed-up versions of ourselves. Some of the other girls' hair and makeup can be seen in this earlier post

xx

Hair

I entrusted my highlights and updo to my usual hairdresser, Sarah of Salon Bliss. (She also gave me a gorgeous French twist for our engagement photos.) I have an active lifestyle and I usually wear my hair in some sort of a messy bun in my everyday life. For the wedding, I wanted a more sophisticated version of that. Sarah created a soft chignon that maintained the natural wave in my hair. She left a couple of pieces untucked around my face for a more natural look. After I removed my veil, I added a pair of comb clips (from Claire's).

The windy day was a little rough on our hair (especially the bridesmaids, who were wearing it down), but it still looked great even after a long night of dancing!







Makeup

We booked Ottawa Makeup Artists on the recommendation of the owner's sister, who's now a distant relative through marriage. I wanted to play up my eyes and keep my cheeks and lips soft with a slight peachy tone. Elissa (the owner) did a dream job; I actually drew a gasp when I first looked in the mirror. I had asked Elissa to use some of my own products, which I've listed here. The others I'm not sure of.


{Brad's favourite photo of me from our wedding.}



Foundation - Armani luminous silk foundation in 5.5 (airbrush application)
Blush - Nars in Orgasm and Cover Girl in Peaches
Eyeliner - MAC powerpoint in Tealo
Eyebrow pencil - Annabelle in Taupe
Lipstick - MAC cremesheen in Shanghai Spice
Lip gloss - MAC lipglass in Please Me


Nails
 I did my own manicure using a Kiss Custom Fit kit ordered through Amazon, as Shoppers no longer seems to stock it. 



I got a pedicure from La Crystal nails and wore Essie's Ballet Slippers (my own polish). I wanted something a little more powdery white but they didn't have the colour I had in mind available. I doubt anyone even noticed my toes!

{Photo: essie.com}


Vendor review: Salon Bliss, Ottawa
Salon Bliss is the small salon with a giant heart. The owner and head stylist, Sarah, is very talented, accommodating, and cares deeply for her clients, her staff and her work. She has treated my mom, Brad and me - all regular clients - wonderfully over the years. Going to an appointment at Salon Bliss feels like stepping into a warm hug from an old friend. The business is expanding and with that comes occasional growing pains (e.g. the odd unreturned voicemail). However, I'm confident these issues will be smoothed out over time, and it's been worth it for the quality of the work they do. Sarah and Sandi, our wedding day stylists, showed up at 6:45 am for our 7:00 am appointment looking cheerful and ready to go. They were unfazed by the 12 women flying around the house, working efficiently and chatting pleasantly as we went along. I think that Sarah could even offer differential pricing, charging more for her services as the salon's most experienced stylist. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Salon Bliss!

Vendor review: Ottawa Makeup Artists, Ottawa
Elissa and Amy were our two makeup artists for the wedding and we were really pleased with their work and their professionalism. They accommodated our need for an early start, and like Salon Bliss, they arrived on time and with everything they needed to set up. Their pricing was at the mid-to-high range but they didn't charge for travel time to our appointment on the outskirts of the city. Also, when I had told Elissa that a makeup trial wasn't in my budget, she very kindly arranged to do it free of charge at a bridal show where she was exhibiting.There were a couple of things I hadn't loved at the trial (100% a communication issue on my end). As I explained myself, Elissa listened attentively, asked questions, and walked me through how we could make changes. She blew me away with the results. I used some MAC blotting papers throughout the day but my makeup stayed put very well. Amy's work was equally beautiful. I would definitely recommend Ottawa Makeup Artists! 

Vendor review: La Crystal nails, Ottawa
I was totally satisfied with my pedicure from La Crystal nails, a nail bar recommended by Salon Bliss. The colour lasted a solid two weeks after the wedding, with only the tiniest chip a week in (probably due to my return to the gym). I wouldn't say I got the warm and fuzzies walking in. The space felt a little cramped and I was a first-timer surrounded by what were clearly regular clients. However, they were efficient, professional and used good sanitation procedures. Their pricing is mid-point, not as cheap as some of the sketchier-looking places but much more reasonable than day spa prices. 

1 comment:

  1. Kat, you are so beautiful. You were an absolutely stunning bride. Drop alive GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!