Saturday, January 10, 2015

Llama-adorned poncho

I found this poncho in a thrift store in Paris, but I assume it was made in South America based on the style and design. It's one of those pieces that seems like it could have an interesting back story. How did it come to be sold in the 16e arrondissement? 

When it comes to back stories, I got luckier with my consigned Blumarine dress from a couple of posts back (see it here). The saleslady was able to tell me it was brought in - unworn - by a regular client with a very wealthy Russian husband who buys her all kinds of designer clothing, much of which she ends up rejecting. Even at consignment prices, the dress wasn't cheap (by my budget standards), but I'm estimating I still saved about 75% off the original price. Russian man's loss, my gain! Seriously though, consignment stores in nice neighbourhoods can be little treasure troves, especially for those who don't mind paying a little more for a curated selection of second-hand items.

Back to the poncho. I was drawn to the hefty wool fabric and artisanal attention to detail, like embroidered llamas on the front panels and a plaid pattern on the underside. It's a little outside my comfort zone but I liked the idea of keeping my always-cold upper arms warm. If your style veers classic like mine, clean lines and neutral colours are a good pairing for any statement piece. I went with a grey cashmere turtleneck, black skinny jeans and brown boots. Nini suggested I could also try it with a miniskirt and thick tights, which I'll probably do next time!

xx

 


 
Jeans - Guess, Winners
Turtleneck - Black Label, Saks off Fifth
Cape - Brand unknown, thrifted 
Boots - Etienne Aigner, thrifted

2 comments:

  1. What a find! I think it looks great here, and I cannot wait to see you pair id with a mini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, you have divine boots.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!